Cookies are used on websites to provide enhanced functionality on improve the users experience.
Examples of website cookie use include:
- An online store can record items in your shopping cart whilst you are browsing the store.
- A website can display different content, if you have never visited a site before. An example is many sites show a cookie warning on first visit to a website.
- Allow a website to save any preferences set by a user, so that next time the settings don't need to be set again. Some is setting your home town on a weather website.
- Can tracking browsing habits. An example is an online store can suggest more useful additional items to buy, based on the previous pages visited.
- For a website that requires you to login, it allows you not to have to type in your user name and password every time to visit the site (or view different pages on a site).